The prospect of buying and selling your home when relocating for work etc is rather daunting and may result in second thoughts about accepting the job offer. So, to ease the anxiety and to provide an incentive for job transfers, some companies offer relocation assistance to their employees – relocation packages meant to relieve the financial burden of moving.
The types of relocation packages offered by different companies differ considerably depending on a number of factors. Your first step is to find out everything there is to be known about relocation packages.
Whats usually included in relocation packages?
Standard relocation packages may cover moving costs and temporary living expenses, as well as certain miscellaneous expenses directly or indirectly related to the relocation process, such as home-hunting, updating important documents, or getting your new place ready to live in. Some employers may be willing to provide additional assistance, especially if you are a valuable asset to the company. If offered a full relocation package, you can expect reimbursement for:
- Home hunting – your employer will cover the expenses for two trips to your new city (including airfare, hotel, meals and a rental car), so that you can search for an appropriate new home in the area;
- Home sale and home buying services – the company will pay the closing costs and commissions on the sale of your old home. They may even compensate you if you have to sell your property at a loss. If you are leaving a rental ahead of time, any penalty charges for breaking the lease will be covered. You will also get help buying a new home close to your workplace – the company will not only pay the closing costs and the various fees on the purchase of the property, but may even buy down the interest rate on your new home’s mortgage or give you a loan at a very low rate;
- Moving and storage expenses – you can choose the moving option that best suits your particular needs and requirements, but your best bet is to hire full-service movers for your job relocation – they will take care of all the arduous moving tasks in a quick, safe, and efficient manner, leaving you enough time to deal with other important issues. Your employer will pay for the moving services (packing, shipment of your household goods, and unpacking), as well as for the insurance of your belongings while in transit and even for temporary storage (if necessary);
- Shipment of vehicle – unless you prefer to drive your car to your new home, your vehicle will be transferred to your new location at your employer’s expense;
- Travel expenses – your employer will pay for airline (or bus or train) tickets for you and your family. Meals and lodging on the way will also be provided for;
- Temporary housing – you will be provided with temporary accommodation for the period while searching for a permanent residence in the area or getting your new home ready to move in;
- Miscellaneous expenses – in addition to the moving costs, you will be reimbursed for various other relocation-related expenses, such as necessary repair works, professional cleaning, utility hook-ups, updating licenses and registrations, etc.
Childcare assistance, spousal job support, and other special benefits may also be included in your relocation package.
Let us Help!
Relocating can be a stressful, but with the expert assistance of Louise James, your transition will be made as smooth as possible. Louise has the experience and expertise to make sure that your entire relocation is handled with the greatest care to save you any stress.
For corporations and home owners that need help relocating, contact Louise James today!
Call or Text: 360-607-5717